Home   Home Home
Learn about Islam
Islam - Francais
Interfaith events & Symposiums
Books on Islam
Muslim Television Ahmadiyya
Upcoming Events
Prayer Timings
Contact Us
Jalsa Salana Canada
Member Services
Daily Knowledge
Join Mailing List
Friday Sermons
Ahmadiyya Gazette
Day in Hijri and Shamsi
Useful Links
Jamia Ahmadiyya Canada
Nasir Academy
Auxiliary Organizations
Professional Associations
Humanity First
Photo Galleries

Calendar of Events


Welcome To Canada

Every year, Canada welcomes thousands of new residents. Coming to Canada as an immigrant is an exciting opportunity, but a great challenge as well. The following information can really help in getting yourself prepared for the challenge.


Please, fill in the "Tajneed" form and keep a constant contact with the president of "Jamat". Please, also make sure that your address, contact (telephone) number and the information regarding family status is up to date. In case of a change immediately inform the central Jamat directly or through your local Jamat. In case of any difficulty or issue, please, take guidance from Jamat by calling the "Mission House" at (905) 832-2669.

Working in Canada & SIN Card

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number used in the administration of various Canadian government programs. You will require a SIN to work in Canada or to receive government benefits.

1- How do I apply for a Social Insurance Number card?
How do I apply for a replacement card?
How do I change the name on my card?
  For all requests (first-time, replacement, amendment, corrections, etc.), you must complete an application form and provide an original of a primary document that proves your identity and status in Canada. You must also provide a supporting document if the name on your primary document is different from the one you are currently using. It is important that documents are originals and that they are written in English or French.

Application forms may be picked up at your local Human Resources Development Canada (HRDC) office or you may download one in a PDF format from this site. You will require Adobe Acrobat Reader to fill out and print this form.

HRDC encourages you to apply for your SIN in person at a HRDC office. This process is faster and more convenient, as it does not require you to part with your valuable identity documents.

2- What documents must I provide?
  Each time you apply for a Social Insurance Number card, you must provide a primary document and a supporting document if the name you are now using is different than the name appearing on your primary document.

All documents must be originals.

3- What is a supporting document and when is it needed?
  A supporting document is a legal document, which reflects the name you are currently using. It is required when the name you are currently using does not appear on your primary document. The type of supporting document required depends on the reason for the change.

For example:
If your surname changed by marriage, you must submit a Canadian marriage certificate, a foreign marriage certificate or a Divorce decree.

If your name changed by law, you must submit a Certificate of name change (certificate or court order made under a provincial change of name act or under similar legislation) or adoption papers.

Supporting documents
If the name on your primary document is different from the name you are now using, submit one of the following documents. Documents must be originals.

  • Marriage certificate or marriage registration - This document is valid to change your surname. A marriage certificate is not acceptable for persons residing in Quebec and who were married in that province after April 1st, 1981. A marriage license is not acceptable.
  • Divorce Decree - This document is valid for a change in the surname only.
  • Legal change of name document - This document is a certificate or a court order made under a provincial change of name act or under similar legislation.
  • Declaration of Assumed Name/Statutory Declaration - This document is only acceptable for residents of the following provinces: Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Ontario and Alberta.
  • Adoption papers
  • Request to Amend Immigration Record of Landing
4- When is a fee charged?
  No fee is charged for a first-time application for a Social Insurance Number card.

A $10 fee is charged for the replacement of a SIN card. Acceptable methods of payment are by personal cheques, bank drafts or money orders payable in Canadian funds to the Receiver General for Canada. Cash should never be sent by mail, but it is accepted at any HRDC office.

A legal name change is considered an amendment to your SIN card; not a replacement and no fee is charged.

5- Is it necessary to change my name on my Social Insurance Number card after a legal name change?
  It is important that the names and Social Insurance Number (SIN) under which you are working are identical to the name and SIN that appear on your SIN card. This will ensure that your Canada and/or Québec Pension Plan contributions are properly credited to you.

6- Can I apply by mail?
  To apply for a Social Insurance Number by mail, you must mail your completed application form, identity document(s), and fee for replacement card (if applicable) to:

Social Insurance Registration
P.O. Box 7000
Bathurst, New Brunswick
E2A 4T1

Your document(s) will be returned with your SIN card. Please note that we are not responsible for document(s) lost in transit. We suggest that you visit a HRDC office to complete an application form.

7- How long will it take to receive my card?
  Your card should be received by mail within three weeks from the date you submit your application, providing it meets all criteria. However, you should wait four weeks before enquiring as to the status of your card.

8- I do not have a card but I know my Social Insurance Number. Do I really need a card?
  The Social Insurance Number is required by law, as an administrative number for authorized federal programs, notably Employment Insurance, Canada Pension Plan and income tax. According to existing legislation, only your employer needs to see your card. All other authorized users need only be provided your number. Therefore, it may not be necessary to have a card in your possession. In fact, we recommend you to keep your Social Insurance Number card in a safe place.

9- What do I do if my SIN card is lost or stolen?
  If your Social Insurance Number card has been lost or stolen, a replacement card or a new Social Insurance Number may be requested.

10- Who is authorized to use my Social Insurance Number?
  In general terms, every person who works in insurable or pensionable employment in Canada is required to have a Social Insurance Number (SIN). By law, you must provide your SIN to authorize federal agencies, such as Human Resources Development Canada and Canada Customs and Revenue Agency, your employer, and anyone else who prepares income tax information on your behalf. This includes some provincial and municipal agencies that must report financial assistance payments for income tax purposes, and all institutions from which you earn interest or income, such as banks, credit unions and trust companies.

11- Should I inform Social Insurance Registration of the death of a family member?
  Yes. A death certificate or a copy of the death certificate, as well as the SIN card or the SIN number of the deceased is required. The document(s) can be submitted in person at a local Human Resources Development Canada office or by mail to the following address:

Social Insurance Registration
P.O. Box 7000
Bathurst, New Brunswick
E2A 4T1

Note: Notification of death may be received from law enforcement agencies or representatives of the estate.

12- As a visitor to Canada, can I obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?
  Visitors cannot obtain a SIN unless they are working in Canada. To be eligible to work, you must have a Visitor Record issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada which authorizes you to work. In order to receive a SIN, you must provide a contract of employment from your employer, details indicated below, together with your Visitor Record.

A contract must contain the duration of employment; the end date cannot be beyond the expiry date indicated on your Visitor Record. The contract must:

  • state the job offered and the fact that you have accepted this offer;
  • clearly identify the company (e.g.: be on letterhead);
  • indicate the start and end dates of employment;
  • contain your employer’s name and telephone number;
  • be signed by both you and your employer.
13- Can I apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) if I reside outside of Canada?
  Yes, you can apply to obtain a Social Insurance Number or a replacement card, to request an amendment to your card or record, or to receive a confirmation of your SIN if you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada. There is no distinction between Canadian citizens living outside or inside Canada.

If you are not a Canadian citizen and you are living outside Canada, you cannot obtain a Social Insurance Number, a replacement card, request an amendment to your card or record, or receive a confirmation of your Social Insurance Number, unless you are eligible to receive Canada Pension Plan (CPP) benefits. If so, a written confirmation from CPP which states that you are eligible for benefits is required. You should be aware that you can apply for CPP without a Social Insurance Number, or without knowing your Social Insurance Number.

14- I have refugee status. Can I obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?
  You may obtain a SIN if you prove you are authorized to work in Canada. You must provide one of the acceptable documents issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to obtain a 900 series SIN.

For more details and how to apply for the SIN Card, please visit the following website. Click here

Applying for a Health Insurance Card

One of the most important things you need to do as soon as you arrive in Canada is to apply for a health insurance card. All members of your family, even newborn babies must have their own card. You can get an application form from the provincial ministry of health office, any doctor's office, a hospital or a pharmacy. If necessary, the immigrant-serving organization in your area can help you fill out the form.

In Ontario, British Columbia, New Brunswick and Quebec, there is a three-month waiting period before you become eligible for medicare coverage.

Health-care services covered by medicare include:

  • Examination and treatment by family doctors
  • Many types of surgery
  • Most treatment by specialists
  • Hospital care & X-rays
  • Many laboratory tests & most immunizations
Health-care services not covered by medicare, and for which you will have to pay, include:

  • Ambulance services
  • Prescription drugs
  • Dental care, glasses and contact lenses
For more information, please visit:Click here

Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB)

The Canada Child Tax Benefit is a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under age 18. The CCTB may include the National Child Benefit Supplement (NCBS), a monthly benefit for low-income families with children, and the Child Disability Benefit (CDB), a monthly benefit providing financial assistance for qualified families caring for children with severe and prolonged mental or physical impairments.

Are you eligible?

To be eligible to receive the CCTB, you have to live with the child and be a resident of Canada for income tax purposes.

For more information, please visit the following website: Click here

Toronto Transit Commission (TTC)

In metropolitan Toronto, there is a system of public transport including buses, street car and sub-way. It is really convenient and the service is really good.

To be eligible to receive the CCTB, you have to live with the child and be a resident of Canada for income tax purposes.

For fare, route and timing information, please visit the following web-site: Click here

Birth, Marriage or Death Certificate

A birth certificate may be obtained by the person named on the certificate (must be at least 13 years old), by a person's parents and, if the person (registrant) is deceased, by the next-of-kin or executor. Not more than one wallet-sized certificate and one certified copy (long form) will be issued.

A marriage certificate may be obtained by the bride or groom, or by the children of their marriage (natural or adoptive). If a parent is deceased, children may obtain a certified copy of the marriage.

Death certificates are available to anyone. A certified copy of a death registration is only available to the next of kin, the executor or the estate administrator.

Application forms are available online, by mail from the Office of the Registrar General, in-person from our Toronto office at Macdonald Block (900 Bay Street, 2nd floor), and at Ontario Land Registry Offices and Government Information Centres located across the province.

Applications may also be received and submitted by fax, provided the applicant is making payment by VISA, AMEX or MasterCard. For further information, you may write to the ORG at:

Office of the Registrar General
PO Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay ON
P7B 6L8
Or fax: (807) 343-7459

For information call:

Toronto and outside Ontario: (416) 325-8305
Toll free in Ontario: 1-800-461-2156
E-mail: cbsinfo@cbs.gov.on.ca
For more information on types of documents available and who is entitled to these documents, please visit the following web site. Click here

Canadian Academic Equivalency

In Canada, education is the responsibility of each province or territory. A recognized Canadian educational institution is one which has a provincial or territorial diploma or degree-granting status.

Does the federal Public Service recognize foreign educational credentials?

The federal Public Service will accept and recognize any foreign educational credentials as long as they are considered acceptable by a recognized Canadian educational institution. The individual must provide the government department responsible for recruitment with a certificate or some kind of assessment documentation indicating that his/her education from a foreign institution has been assessed and found to be equivalent to a certain level and degree within a recognized Canadian institution.

Where can I find information on the assessment and recognition of foreign credentials for employment purposes?

The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC) assists persons who want to know how to obtain an assessment of their educational, professional, and occupational credentials by referring them to the appropriate bodies. CICIC does not itself grant equivalencies or assess credentials, nor does it intervene on behalf of individuals or in appeals. The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC) can be contacted at:

95 St. Clair Avenue West, Suite 1106
Toronto, Ontario, M4V 1N6
Tel: (416) 962-9725
Fax: (416) 962-2800
E-mail: info@cicic.ca
Internet site: Click here

Which credentials evaluation services are available in Canada?

Please click here for a list of organizations.

When is it necessary to obtain Canadian academic equivalency for a foreign degree?

It is necessary to obtain Canadian academic equivalency for a foreign degree if the degree is a requirement for a position in the federal Public Service. For example, if the department requires a Bachelor's degree from a recognized Canadian university, the candidate would need to use the credential evaluation service if his/her Bachelor's level degree was not from Canada. However, if the candidate had a Bachelor's degree from a foreign university and a Master's degree from a Canadian university, he/she would not require the use of the credential evaluation service. The Canadian university, by accepting the candidate into the Master's level program, has already recognized his/her Bachelor's degree.

For more information, please visit: Click here

Colleges and Universities - Canada

Canada has one of the best colleges and universities in the world. For a complete list of Canadian colleges and universities, please visit the following link: Click here

How to Apply For a Driver's Licence

Please, make an effort to get the driving licence from the very start. Study the driver’s manual handbook. It can be obtained from the driver examination centre. It is advised that you try to note the various traffic signs and traffic rules while moving about. When you are ready to take the test, please find the driver examination centre nearest to you to take the test.

1- Bring Personal Identification
  Please Note: A minimum of two (2) pieces of identification are required and at least one (1) piece must include your signature.

To get an Ontario driver's licence, you are required to provide proof of personal identity and date of birth. The following documents are acceptable as proof of personal identity and/or date of birth:

  • photo driver's licence from another jurisdiction
  • citizenship card
  • passport
  • immigration card with photo
The following documents, which must be originals, are acceptable as proof of personal identity and/or date of birth.

  • birth certificate
  • baptismal certificate (must bear an official seal)
  • driver's licence from another jurisdiction
The following documents are acceptable as proof of personal identity:

  • student card
  • credit card
  • membership card
2- Visit Your Closest Driver Examination Centre

3- Bring the Required Payment - See details below:
Licence Fees
G and M Class Licence   Cost
G1 Licence - cost includes knowledge test, G1 road test and five year licence $100.00
  Knowledge Test $10.00  
  Class G1 Road Test $40.00  
  Five Year Licence

*This amount includes the portion of the fee required to be paid by the licence applicant
into the Uninsured Vehicle Accident Claims Fund under the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Act.
Currently, this amount is $5.00 for applicants receiving a 5 year licence.
M1 Licence* - cost includes knowledge test, M1 road test and 90 day licence $55.00
  Knowledge Test $10.00  
  Class M1 Road Test $40.00  
  90 Day Licence

*If applicant is completing a Ministry of Transportation-approved motorcycle safety course,
only the $15 Knowledge Test and 90 Day Licence fee is required
G2 or M2 Road Test $75.00
Controlled Class ("Classified") Licence: Class A, B, C, D, E, F Test Fees   Cost
Complete Controlled Class Test - cost includes knowledge test and road test $85.00
  Knowledge Test $10.00  
  Road Test $75.00  
Complete Air Brake (Z) Endorsement Test $50.00
Air Brake (Z) Endorsement Practical Test $40.00

Please note that fees for driver examination services are set by the Government of Ontario

How to enroll children in school

In Canada, all permanent residents must attend school. However, the age requirement may vary from province to province. Most students continue to attend after the required period and receive a graduation diploma.

To enroll a child in school, you generally have to bring the child to the local school along with his/her

  • Birth certificate/passport
  • Statement of immigration status
  • Immunization record/documents

How to enroll in language classes

Citizenship and Immigration Canada gives money to community organizations to provide language training for newcomers through the Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) program. The language training through LINC is free and available to all adult immigrants who are permanent residents of Canada. Canadian citizens and refugees are not eligible for this training. In many cases, child-minding is available while the parent is attending the language classes. For a list of LINC assessment centres please refer to the following link: Click here

Applying for Job

The first step in applying for the job is to create the right resume and the cover letter. Providing a prospective employer with a good resume can be a powerful asset. The applicant will have greater self confidence, will be better presented, and will have an edge over the competition.

It is strongly recommended that one should attend the "writing resume and cover letter "workshops at Human Resource Development Centre (HRDC)’s job assistance centre. These job assistance centres provide the following facilities free of charge:

  • Photocopying Facility
  • Computer and Internet
  • Fax (Local & Long Distance)
  • Phone calls to prospective employees (Local & Long Distance)
  • Job related seminars
Your job search should start the first week you land in Canada. It is strongly recommended that you post your resumes at the following web sites.

The above sites are Canada’s premier job search web sites. It is paramount that one should visit the web site and apply for the jobs on a consistent/regular basis.

Although, as a permanent resident you can’t apply for the federal government jobs, however, you can definitely apply for Provincial Government Jobs as soon as you land as a permanent resident. The following web site has provincial government job’s postings:Click here

For jobs in Ontario, Click here

Finding Accommodation

Please, consult friends and relatives for finding a suitable accommodation. You may also consult Nazim Jamat. Also consult the local newspapers for rental section.

In case, your financial situation is not too good, there are subsidized housing. This housing is provided by the provincial government and you can apply for such accommodation.

The following Government of Canada Web sites will also help you get a head start in your planning:

  • www.canadabusiness.ca: The Canada Business Service Centre's Web site is your single point of contact for information on government services, programs and rules for business.
  • www.strategis.gc.ca: This Industry Canada Web site has business information to help you find partners, do market research, find new technologies, and learn about financing opportunities and growth areas in the Canadian economy.
  • www.bdc.ca: This is the Web site of the Business Development Bank of Canada. It provides financial and consulting services to Canadian small businesses, especially those in the technology and export sectors of the economy. It also offers information on how to start a business and make it succeed.
  • www.ic.gc.ca: This is the Web site of the Canada Small Business Financing Program. The program can help you finance your own business.
  • www.contractscanada.gc.ca: This Web site has information on how and what the Government of Canada buys (both goods and services).
  • www.cic.gc.ca: This is the Web site of Citizenship and Immigration Canada. It describes the Business Immigration Program. You will find many answers to your questions at this site


Press Releases
Monday October 05, 2015

Thursday September 24, 2015
Canadian Muslim Community Mourns the Hajj Pilgrimage Tragedy in Mecca more

Thursday September 17, 2015
Canadian Muslim Community Applauds the Federal Court’s decision to Uphold Religious Freedom During the Citizenship Oath more

Monday August 31, 2015
Ahmadiyya Muslim Jama`at Successful in Promoting Peaceful Dialogue as Canada’s Largest Islamic Convention Concludes more

Archived Press Releases
This Month
Oct. 3 - 4 - Refresher Course - For Office Bearers of Jama`at Eastern Canada

Oct. 3 - 4 - Lajna - Shura & Annual National Ijtima`

Oct. 7 - 8 - Family Weekend (Long Weekend)

Oct. 14 - National Majlis `Amila Meeting

Oct. 15 - Local Umara' / Presidents Meeting

Oct. 17 - 18 - Khuddam - 26th Majlis Shura

Oct. 23 - 25 - 25th National Ta`limul Qur'an Class

Oct. 31 - Nov. 1 - Waqf Nau National Ijtima`

Interfaith events & Symposiums